Thursday 9 October 2008

New kit, dodgey pics, and ready to go....

So, it's the day of departure, 9th October 2008, and I apparently have some time on my hands. It's been an interesting few days of catching up with family and trying to pack my kit. For some strange reason I feel like sharing. It's probably because I know over the next couple of days I have to kill 20 hours in Delhi airport - Ouch.

Before I packed my kit I decided to test out a couple of new items I received from Desperate Measures: A Palm Stikine drysuit and an IR Union Suit. Together this is the most comfortable combo I've tried. The cuts of both suits are fantastic and seem to keep a comfortable temperature as well. I certainly advise anyone to get IR thermals if they can - the polartech fleece they use is perfect for kayaking. It takes moisture away from the skin and is supremely comfortable. The best thing about the Union Suit is the lycra neck line - this will remain warm even when it's wet (for those times when any neck seal blows (as they occasionally do) and it works as the entrance into the suit, leaving no uncomfortable seams anywhere.

I will update my experiences with the palm stikine when I get to more extensively test it.

The important thing is that you can look good wearing these items around the city and wouldn't look out of place at a garden party...












































Inbetween looking great in my new dinner wear (note the special suit shoes... hmmm) I also got around to packing. This was not as easy as I thought it would be. I had planned on shipping a bike to New Zealand to arrive once I was out there. In this box I would also add extra stuff so that I didn't have to cart my entire life around to Nepal and onwards. This turned out to not be feasible - at over £300 and not arriving till February I decided that it wasn't that impotant. I'll hire a bike. This meant that my packing for a year of travels became much like anyone elses. No frills. A few pairs of pants, a couple of trousers/ shorts, a few T-shirts, socks and a jumper. Then all my kit... sleeping bag, bivvy bag, thermarest, cag, drysuit, thermals, stove, camera (and stupid large lens), drybags, jackets etc. etc. etc.... It seemed an impossible task. A lot of swearing and squeezing later, I eventually squeezed it all in, and according to my scales, it was all under the weight limit. We shall see....

The only things that ended up in my boat were my BA, sleeping bag, and airbags.

Before.....

















After.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You've got a funny little face.